Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Inconvenient Truth

Lately Robert has seemed to take pleasure in a new found hobby -- reminding me that there are no more babies in this house. I am often predisposed to call Leila "the baby" because, well because she is the baby in this house. For a while, she was a baby. And as far as I am concerned, she will always be my baby. But Robert is pointing out the regretable truth -- that the girls are getting older, bigger, more independent, yadda, yadda, yadda. And we're not having any more babies. This is it for us. Today was another cruel reminder of the inescapable. To add to the list of Gabrielle's "firsts" like first day of school, first dance class without me, you get the point. Well today was Gabrielle's first ride in a school bus AND first field trip. Are 3 year olds even big enough to ride on a bus? And you know, those things don't have seatbelts! Well, I met her at the pumpkin patch, and when I asked her how the bus ride was, she said, "Good, they even have little seats for us little kids." Of course, Gabrielle wasn't half as excited as Leila was. All day long, Leila kept talking about how Gabrielle rode the bus. And when Robert came home and asked how their day was, Leila's response was that Gabrielle rode the bus. She's even more eager to get away from me than Gabrielle was. She spends every morning devising new schemes to see how she can sneak into Gabrielle's classroom with her -- as if I wouldn't notice she was missing. What she doesn't realize is that she'll off to school before she knows it. And then where would that leave me? Babyless, that's where.


On another note -- I've realized today that Robert must lead an extremely volatile life to be stuck in a house with three females.

No comments: