Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Too Much of a Good Thing

There can definately be too much of a good thing. Like say for example, tomatoes. Prior to this year, I have never been much of a gardener. Infact, Robert said I had a black thumb because everything that he gave me would die, except for this one plant that he gave me almost 6 years ago -- it's still alive. Which is amazing because I've moved like six times with it. Anyway, earlier this year Jessica inspired me to find my green thumb when she charged me with the care of her Aerogarden, which at the time had herbs growing in it. After that I decided to try my hand at some tomato plants. Which I have to admit, may have gotten a little out of control. I planted all of the plants from seeds, and I didn't want to get rid of any of the little seedlings after they sprouted. By summer, there were ten tomato plants in pots outside of my house. Two of them were even hanging upside down in pots from a tree in my yard. It's been an interesting experience with them. I'm just glad that we don't pay for water because they sure do use a lot of it. And who knew that tomatoes attract the BIGGEST caterpillars I've ever seen in my life! BTW, that picture is practically life-size! I thought they were going to be the end of my tomato plants for sure. But they survived and we managed the whole summer. I got a lot of good tomatoes off of them too -- grape, Roma, Better Bush, and the very large Beefsteak. It's been good tomato eating at our house for everyone, except Gabrielle who detests tomatoes. Well anyway, now that it's October and it gets down to the 40's at night, I decided to pick off the rest of the tomatoes that were still on the plants in hopes that they may still ripen in the house. Little did I know that the rest amounted to 112 tomoates! What the heck am I gonna do with all of these? Like I said, too much of a good thing -- like unripened tomatoes. Did I mention that I know have tomatoes growing in the aerogarden too? :-P

No comments: