Friday, October 3, 2008

Fried Turkey!!!

A couple of weeks ago, Robert and I were watching Alton Brown's show, Good Eats, on the Food Network. We watch A LOT of Food Network, which is good because it inspires me, but bad because everything always looks so good and I always just want to make whatever they're making just so I can see how it tastes. Anyway, back to the subject, Alton Brown was talking about how to fry a turkey for Thanksgiving. Now, I know this may be hard to believe, but I've never had a fried turkey. I've had roasted turkey, smoked turkey, and even turducken (another blog), but never fried. His turkey looked so good that it made me want to try it. But I didn't really want to make an entire turkey, so I bought a package of turkey legs and a package of turkey breasts. Then I did like good ole' Alton said and soaked it in some homemade brine (water, salt, & brown sugar) and fried em up at 350 degrees. And man were they good. I was kind of worried cause we were just frying pieces, but it worked out great! And everybody loved it!

And to go with my turkey, I made this recipe I found for savory pumpkin balls, which is made from canned pumpkin, onions, garlic, and bread crumbs. I know it sounds weird, but they were actually really tasty, although hard to describe. Robert says they tasted like baked hush puppies. And since I had a some pumpkin left over, I made a little pumpkin casserole (think pumpkin pie without the crust) which Gabrielle described as "melting in your mouth." And to round it all up, we had some slices of beer bread on the side. And for those who don't know, it's just like the name says, bread made with beer. So good!

No comments: