Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuna Hot Pockets???

So one of the things that Robert and I enjoy eating, but don't eat often enough is tuna fish sandwiches. I love tuna fish sandwiches. But upon having kids, I realized that tuna fish was messy and difficult to eat. . . thereby involving more stress than pleasure. Well, Robert requested tuna melts for dinner today. . . which I don't blame him because I can't remember the last time I've had a good ole' tuna fish sandwich. But as dinner time rolled around, I realized that even though the girls surely seem old enough to eat sandwiches, they're not really. Leila has an inherent instinct to take apart every sandwich that I make for her. . . ham and cheese, sunbutter and jelly, grilled cheese and tomato. . .it doesn't matter what you put in the sandwich, she will inevitably take the thing apart, eat what she wants, and leave the rest just sitting there in a big pile on her plate. This has actually resulted in me buying the Pampered Chef cut-n-seal which basically seals the two pieces of bread together. It's become a total lifesaver and the sandwiches turn out really cute. . .like those frozen crustless Smuckers peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that I was addicted to when I was pregnant with Gabrielle. Anyway. . . I am just rambling on here. So my solution for getting the girls to eat their sandwiches. . .refrigerated croissant. . . you know the kind in the tube. I opened it up, rolled the seams together. Filled them with tuna fish mixture and cheese, folded them over, sealed them, and stuck em in the oven. They turned out looking a bit like giant pop-tarts. . .but hey, they got eaten!!! And Leila didn't even try to take them apart until the very end, when she was full and playing with her food. They were actually surprisingly good, even Robert enjoyed some. A case of desperation meeting ingenuity . . . at least I didn't have to yell at anyone tonight to stop opening up the sandwich and flinging tuna fish everywhere!

No comments: