Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving!

Ahhh Thanksgiving. . . the day to be thankful for having an opportunity to cook your heart out. Of course I have soooo much more to be thankful for, don't get me wrong. But I think I'll save that out of this blog because we don't want me getting too sentimental and it's much more fun to talk about food instead. Instead we'll just talk about the strangeness of spending an entire day cooking for the sole purpose of eating this gigantic meal. Anyway, after pretty much 8 straight hours of cooking, my family sat down for Thanksgiving dinner with our guest, The Geren's. When I finally sat down to eat, I was almost feeling a little disappointed. After all that work, this was all there was to show for it? I suppose it was a lot of food. I made turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce (for Robert), cranberry relish (for me), and homemade rolls. Jessica was kind enough to contribute corn bake, broccoli/cauliflower salad, and mashed potatoes. I think everything turned out really well, and there was definately enough food to feed another family. Later that night, Robert laid out a dessert spread for us. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies (courtesy of Jessica), and a new addition this year, Indian Pudding with homemade cinnamon ice cream. Jessica also brought over some delicious mini pumpkin cheesecakes, but I was unwilling to share :-), so we couldn't lay it out on the table. Can you tell I REALLY like pumpkin? The Indian Pudding is definately interesting though. Even though it seems to be rather popular here in New England, I've never had it myself. For those that are wondering, it's basically a baked pudding of milk, eggs, cornmeal, molasses, maple syrup, and spices. Topped with a dollop of ice cream, it's pretty tasty. . . and unlike anything I've ever had before, making it very difficult to describe.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thank you for a delicious and beautiful Thanksgiving. I am thankful for friends like you. May you and your family be blessed.