Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pumpkin, cont!

I forgot to mention yesterday that my batch of ice cream left me with half a can of unused pumpkin. Not wanting to waste it, I made it into lunch for today. . . pumpkin soup. Yep, by the time this winter is over my family is going be all pumpkined out. And this morning I woke up thinking about pumpkin cheesecake (yum!) and I haven't even made my pumpkin fudge yet this year. But I did happen to whip up a batch of regular fudge (rocky road, minus the rocky parts)... which I blame primarily on Jessica for having even mentioned it to me. Yes, it's like that. . . if I get the idea stuck in my head and I have all the ingrediants on hand to make it, then BAM! it's made. And because I keep a VERY well stocked pantry, I almost always have everything on hand to make whatever I want. In fact, I tend to get VERY irritated when I realize that I actually don't have something. I don't know if it's possible to become addicted to cooking, but pretty soon someone's gonna have to sign me up for C.A. (I won't tell you if I do though, cause it's supposed to be anonymous :-) Also, for those of you that are wondering if I just stay in my kitchen and cook all day, the answer is a definative "no." I do have a life, I have two kids remember, I'm taking 3 classes this semester. And just to prove my point, I only spent one hour in the kitchen at lunchtime, to make the soup and the fudge, and not even an hour at dinner time to make dinner (tacos, yes I make normal foods too!) Anyway, for those of you who like to try pumpkin in a savory way, I would recommend the soup, it's very warming. Of course, I'm a bit of a soup person myself. This picture really didn't do it justice.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1 can (14 1/2 fluid ounces) chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can (15 ounces)pureed Pumpkin
1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated Milk
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sugar; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft. Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

TRANSFER mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Serve warm.

No comments: