Saturday, November 8, 2008

Holy Frijoles!

and enchiladas and spanish rice and sweet corn tomalito! Yeah, it was Mexican night at our house, and I may have gone a little overboard. I was only planning on making chicken enchilidas . . . easy enough. Then I decided I wanted beans and rice. And then 2 hours before dinner I decided that I wanted some of that delicious corn mush (that's what it looks like to me)that I've eaten at various Mexican restaurants. That immediately caused problems because I didn't even know what it was called -- I've just been calling it corn mush stuff. Well I finally figured that out (sweet corn tomalito), and found numerous recipes for it, but alas, I didn't have the corn flour that the recipes called for! No need, I'll just improvise. And it came out delicioso!









The meal was an overall success. It was a bit of a surprise because I didn't think the girls would eat the enchilidas, and instead fill up on rice and beans. As you can see by the before and after pics from Leila's plate the enchilidas disappeared and the beans and rice remain untouched. Both of the girls had seconds on of both the enchilidas and the tomalito. And Robert, who had looked skeptically at the cooking tomalito, took a bite and said "Mmmm, this is good!" He was actually surprised. He he he. It is really good though. And for those of you wanting to make it at home, here's the recipe that I ended up using with what I had on hand. 10 minutes to put together, an hour to cook. Plan ahead, it's worth it!

1 box jiffy
6 tbsp butter, softened or melted
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 can creamed corn
2 tbsp half & half
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine jiffy, butter, sugar and water in mixing bowl and mix with electric mixer until smooth. Add rest of ingrediants and mix until smooth. Pour into an 8 inch square baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Place dish over saucepan of boiling water and steam for 50 minutes to an hour. Scoop out in spoonfuls.

No comments: