Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Can't Get the Flu Shot???

Just get the flu instead. Or so that apparently appears to be Leila's philosophy. I have been trying to get us to get the flu shot since they've been available. But unfortunately, someone has always been sick or else it's been something or another. Well we finally made it to the clinic to get flue shots last week, two days before Christmas. Yet there was another hiccup in the plan -- Leila's egg allergy. Most of the time, I could care less about Leila's egg allergy. She eats everything that is made with eggs, and she even has an occasional egg for breakfast. Even though her blood work shows that she's allergic to eggs, she technically only has a sensitivity because she can tolerate them. Unfortunately, the first question on the form to get both the flu shot and the flu mist is "Are you allergic to eggs?" One yes answer there, and you're outta luck. Even though I tried to convince them that she'd just had eggs for breakfast the day before, they weren't willing to take the chance. "What if the combination of the flu vaccine and the eggs causes her to go into anaphalactic shock?" they said. To myself I'm thinking, "Well it's a good thing I have two epipens in my purse," but aloud I have no choice but to resign. They're concerned about liability, guess I can't blame them. That is until Leila develops a cough and a fever of 102.5. I'm sure you know where this is going. She had the fever for 3 days! It never broke even though she was on a constant supply of Tylenol and Motrin. To add to that were all the other fun symptoms of which I will spare you the misery of mentioning. And when I finally took her to the Dr., he said exactly what I thought he would say. "Sorry can't do anything for her. Keep giving her Tylenol and fluids." Gee thanks. Guess in the meantime I'll continue to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor of her room because she wants me to be with her but also refuses to sleep in my bed. In fact, when I put her to bed tonight she asked me if I was going to go to sleep now too, right next to her of course. Oh well. This too shall pass. And I guess that means she'll be immune now right?

No comments: