Wednesday, December 17, 2008

How Much for that Moose Munch?

Hi, my name is Crystal and I have a problem -- I have a moose munch obsession. Yep, whenever I see Harry and David's White Chocolate Cranberry Moose Munch on the shelf at the store, I have to buy it. It's delicious but oh so pricey. The last time that I bought it, I was munching away and reading the decription on the box when I got that oh so familiar though: "I bet I could make this myself." And so once again, that is what I have done. My generic moose munch is definately a comparable (and delicious) replacement and at fraction of the cost. Since each batch makes so much, they are making Christmas gifts this year. I'm adding the recipe for this because it really is very yummy, and someone traded their ham for the recipe. . . you know who you are :-) Merry Christmas!

· 10 cups popped popcorn, I like to pop my own
· 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
· 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
· ½ c light corn syrup
· ½ tsp cream of tartar
· ½ tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· ½ c dried cranberries
· ½ c whole almonds, toasted
· 12 oz. white chocolate chips
· 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
Keep popcorn warm in a large bowl in 300° oven. In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and cream of tartar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300°-310° (hard crack stage). Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and extract. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture; toss gently. Spread into two greased 15x10x1 baking pan. Cool completely and break into pieces.


Once popcorn is cool, return to bowl and mix with cranberries and almonds. Melt chocolate chips and stir in vegetable shortening until mixture is smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over popcorn mixture and stir to coat. Spread back into pans, and allow to cool completely. When mixture is cooled and set, break into chunks for serving. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Thank you for the moose much. I've never had it before. It was really good, everyone enjoyed it :) And thanks for posting the recipe too :)