Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Piggy Pudding Anyone?

Every Christmas Eve, I like to load everyone in the car and go riding around the neighborhoods to look at all the lights and decorations. This tradition stems from having grown up in Virginia, where they always had festival of lights. While my favorite was one in Newport News, even Virginia Beach had one where you could drive through it right next to the beach. When we moved to Charleston, they had one there as well. But since coming to Groton, I haven't heard of any, so we make our own. While driving we usually listen to Christmas music. But this year, the girls have become caroling pros. . . belting out songs like Jingle Bells, Happy Holiday, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. So we were riding along while they were singing in the back seat when they chimed in with "We wish you a Merry Christmas. . . . and a Happy New Year!" For those of you that don't know, there are more verses to this song. The second verse goes "We want some figgy pudding. . ." Apparently though, my daughter does not know what figgy pudding is. In fact, she doesn't even know what a fig is. However, she is familiar with the term "piggy" and next thing I knew, I heard her singing "Give me some piggy pudding. . . give me some piggy pudding. . . . " I laughed so hard I cried. Now I've heard it all. . .

No comments: