Monday, December 15, 2008

Gingerbread House!

Usually by this time in the Christmas season, we've already made our gingerbread house. Unfortunately, I realized that would be a bit of a problem this year because all of the gingerbread house kits that are sold in the stores are all processes in plants that process peanuts. Hmm. . . no storebought gingerbread house for us. After passing up numerous opportunities to buy one at the store, Gabrielle finally said "Well, I guess we're just not going to make a gingerbread house this year." Insert sigh and big pouty face. That along with decorating gingerbread cookies were the things that she was looking most forward too. Luckily, one of the websites that I order peanut-free goodies from began to carry a gingerbread house kit, and I promptly ordered one. After finally getting the pieces, going to the store to buy "safe" candies to decorate it with, and making a batch of royal frosting, we were all set to go. Unfortunately we ran into another snag because the frosting that I made was so thick that I couldn't even squeeze it out of the bag. So I had to remix it, and my kids had to wait another day to complete the house. But we finally got our acts together (or rather I got mine together), and we made our gingerbread house! I think Leila enjoyed eating the candies more than anything else, but she did help decorate as well. I think it turned out super cute. The girls did such a good job!

No comments: