Sunday, February 15, 2009

A lefty in the family?

One of the interesting things that we've noticed about Leila is that she doesn't seem to know which hand she wants to use to do things. Now I know that it can take children up until they are 5 to figure out whether they are right or left handed, but we knew Gabrielle was right handed (or rather Gabrielle knew) from practically the first moment she picked up a crayon. She was ALWAYS done everything with her right hand. Leila, on the other hand, ALWAYS alternates between hands. While coloring, she colors first with one hand and then puts the crayon in the other hand and colors some more. She'll throw you a ball with her left hand or her right hand, depending on which hand is closer to the ball. And even when she eats, it seems that she doesn't have a preference. If you put her spoon and the right side of her bowl, then she'll eat with her right hand, and if you put it on the left, she'll eat it with her left. It's really rather almost bizarre how she uses both hands evenly. But the most amusing thing happened last week when I made bulgogi. Bulgogi is Korean barbequed beef, and for those of you who haven't tried it, it is delish! The beef is thinly sliced and marinated before being grilled, although I actually cook mine indoors over a griddle. It reminds me of a really juicy, thinly sliced, high seasoned steak :-) (which I guess is what it is). But I think that the marinade is what really makes it so great and so different from anything else. For those of you curious for the recipe, here it is: Go to a Korean or Asian grocery store, or maybe even look in the Asian section of a regular grocery store, and find a bottle that says "Korean Barbeque Marinade" on it :-D. Make sure it has Korean Pear in the ingrediants because I think that's what makes it truly spectacular. Yeah, so I'm a cheater when it comes to this dish, but it's phenomenal and truly easy to make. And the kids love it too. Which brings me back to my original point because we gave the girls chopsticks to eat their dinner with that night. And lo and behold, Leila ate her food with her chopsticks in her left hand! Truly bizarre to me because I don't think I've ever seen anyone use chopsticks with their left hand (although I'm sure plenty of left-handed people do) and also because no one even showed her how to hold them with her left hand. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm interested to see if she does end up being a lefty, which would make her the first in our family. Our maybe she'll be ambidextrous. . . . which would also be the first!

1 comment:

AB said...

omg can we add this on the list of stuff to cook when i come?
OH and p.s- I think she is a lefty,I just have this feeling lol