Friday, February 20, 2009

Is a Pie still a Pie. . .

if it's missing a crust? This morning I woke up with a bit of a predicament as I had three over-ripe bananas on my counter. And while some may call me crazy (like my husband, for instance) I absolutely cannot stand the smell of bananas. And when bananas are over-ripe, it seems to make the whole kitchen stink! I can't even stand to have banana peels in the trash can. The smell makes me want to gag. Call me crazy if you want, but I could not handle having those bananas sit on the counter for the rest of the day. So I figured I could throw them away or make something with them. And since it would be so wasteful to throw them away, they got made into banana cream pie. But I've learned that when I am not really into making something (as I didn't really have a desire to make banana cream pie), then it's bound to not turn out very well. Like I didn't want to go through the trouble to make a graham cracker crust, so I decided to just use a regular pie crust. Which didn't turn out too well either, because when I pre-baked it, it shrunk itself into what looked like a pizza crust on the bottom of the pie plate. And still, I refused to make a graham cracker crust. The bananas, filling, and meringue were all ready to go. So what the heck, I filled my pie plate just as I should have, and my banana cream pie was baked with a partly missing pie crust. I was worried that the filling would stick to the pie plate since it didn't have a pastry around it, but it actually ended up turning out just fine. But if my banana cream pie is missing most of it's pie crust, is it still a pie?

No comments: