Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gumbo

Ahhh gumbo -- the dish where you can put anything that crawls, flies, walks or slithers. At least, that's what they say. I tried to think of a cool title for this blog, but I couldn't really. Nothing really rhymes with gumbo except jumbo. And well, I did make a jumbo pot of it. I generally only make gumbo twice a year as it tends to be a day long affair and requires the accumulation of so many ingredients. Might I just say that making gumbo in New England in the middle of winter is not as easy as it sounds. I generally make a shrimp and chicken gumbo to which I also add andouille sausage and crawfish. Sounds simple enough, but do you have any idea how hard it is to come across fresh shrimp and crawfish here, not to mention andouille sausage? In the end, it was a gumbo of frozen shrimp, kielbasa sausage, and the saddest part of all -- frozen crawfish meat. The gumbo looked a little plain without the crawfish claws sticking out, but it was still really, really good. I always forget how good gumbo is until I taste it again. And even though it is well worth the effort, this delicious taste will have to last me for another six months!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still say it's a summer food too!!!